Every student who has crossed the line of the ninth grade and passed the first serious exam in his life should already have guidance for the future. Many guys by this time have already decided where to go, and they know who they want to become.Sometimes parents make this important decision, and the social circle also has some influence. Some want to say goodbye to school life faster and feel like a student. An externate comes to the aid of such children.
The order on approval of the “Regulation on obtaining general education in the form of an external studies” was issued in 2000. This form of education has several advantages that ordinary students do not have. The essence of external studies is the ability to get a secondary education without attending school daily.
The program of grades 10 and 11 can be completed in one year with the passing of intermediate and state (final) certifications. The main advantage is that time for preparation for high school is freed up. In this form of training, free admission to the educational institution is allowed, but without fail certification must be passed.
There is an opportunity to combine studies with work or with classes in another educational institution. There are two variations of externship. In the first case, the child is fully self-taught at home, attending only exams at school. In this case, training will be free.
The disadvantage of this form of education is that if your child is not responsible enough, you can hardly get him to learn a textbook from cover to cover.
There is another form of externship. This is the so-called intensive. A group of externs is engaged three times a week as in a regular school. In this case, the teacher gives the main topics for study and helps students prepare for grades. Intensive group training is on a contract basis.
The main principle of external studies is to free students from daily hours of schoolwork, thus saving time, but at the same time giving a full-fledged education in less time. The externalization system involves the supply of the maximum amount of information in a minimum period of time.
Last year, 12 thousand Russian schoolchildren passed exams and received a certificate of full secondary education as an external student, this figure is growing every year. Moreover, it should be noted that the certificate is no different, it is exactly the same as that of other students who attended school daily, it does not contain marks on the form of external education.
Opinions about external studies among teachers are completely different. On the one hand, they believe that it is impossible to give all the information of the school curriculum of two classes in one academic year. On the other hand, teachers like to work with external children.
After all, these children do not ask questions: “Why do I need this?” They do not say: “I am not interested.” They know what they want to achieve, because they have come to externship with clear goals for the future.
External students are satisfied with this form of education, since this is a unique opportunity not to attend school every day, and they do not follow truancy because it is a private matter for everyone.
Tatyana Maydanyuk, who graduates from school this year as an external student, says: “I think that external studies is a good idea. Having chosen a future profession, there is an opportunity to study in depth those items that are needed for entering a university, and those that are not needed can be passed ahead of schedule, and not to clog their heads in vain. ”
However, there is another point of view. Dmitry Litvinov preferred to continue his education at school after grade 9 in standard form. “It seems to me that external training is necessary for those who study well, it will be easier for them to do everything at home and just go to school to take exams. My knowledge is at a decent level, but it would be difficult for me to go two in a year and do it every day on my own, ”says Dima.
Another important assessment is given by external students. Their opinions were also divided. The former believe that it is very good that children have the opportunity to show their independence and responsibility. The latter think that the knowledge that is given in intensive groups of externs is superficial. In any case, each family decides how their child will finish the two final classes of school.
More and more high school students and their parents choose externship
How to pass school final exams at the same time, prepare for entrance exams and avoid nervous overloads? More and more high school students and their parents answer the question unequivocally: externship.
The new century dictates: if you want to live with dignity - get a higher education. It is no secret that it is impossible to enter a prestigious university without special training. The knowledge of graduates of ordinary secondary schools often does not meet either the requirements of a higher school or the requirements of modern life. External studies are a good way to free up time for preparation for entering a university. It is no coincidence that over the past ten years the number of externs has grown almost twenty times.
They receive a certificate without special marks - the same as their peers from ordinary schools. True, fewer subjects may be indicated there, but the main ones (Russian, literature, physics, etc.) will be required.
Officially, such a free form of education is called an external student, when the child most of the time is studying independently, and only comes to school to take exams - no more than 12 per year. According to the Regulation on external studies, a student can participate in school competitions and competitions, use the library, attend laboratory and practical classes. In addition, he has the right to count on a two-hour consultation on each subject before the exam. At this, the school’s participation in the education of the child ends. However, externate in its pure form is not very popular.
In fact, in addition to consultation, educators usually strongly recommend additional classes, but for money. Here, Article 45 of the Law of the Russian Federation "On Education" comes into force, according to which the school can provide paid services. Parents and students consider such training a paid external studies, although officially this concept does not exist. In this case, children come to school two to three times a week and listen to teachers' lectures.
The third option is externship + paid intensive (same lectures). He is most often chosen by high school students. For a year they go through the school curriculum of the 10-11th grade, or for six months - the 11th grade. Often subjects are studied in blocks: first, chemistry, then geography, etc. The material is usually given in a compressed form, the rest has to be learned on their own.
According to Anna Andriyanova, deputy director for educational work at school No. 96 (with an external student), 64% of all external students study in grades 10-11 in one academic year. Indeed, it is very convenient to have a whole year after graduation to prepare for entering a university.
A different point of view is shared by Tatyana Agashina, deputy director of external studies at school No. 346: “I would advise you to send children to an external study program under the 11th grade program for six months. There are still new subjects in the 10th grade schedule. For example, students learn stereometry about which they had no idea before. If a child in the 10th grade receives the necessary basic knowledge, then passing the 11th in six months will not be difficult for him. "
Finally, quite recently, peculiar hybrids of external studies and preparatory courses began to appear. For example, students of the basic school at the Faculty of Economics of Moscow State University and students of the Educational and Scientific Center for Pre-University Education at Moscow State University are engaged in such a program.
Igor Krivchenkov, director of the Educational and Scientific Center for Pre-University Education: “In the morning, our students listen to lectures on non-core subjects of the secondary school, and after lunch classes begin in the same classes. External studies in this case are nothing more than an easy way to get a certificate of secondary education Teachers understand that the main thing for their wards is to pass entrance exams to the university. External studies are free, parents pay only for preparatory courses, and they can choose so many redmets, how much is necessary for a child to enter a university. Classes are taught by teachers from different faculties of Moscow State University. "
On a short leash
For many, an external school is a real salvation. Studies show that the working day of a conscientious high school student who does all the homework lasts 16 hours. But many are still engaged in preparatory courses and with tutors.
Teachers believe that in adolescence, adaptation to everything new happens very quickly, and there are usually no special difficulties associated with switching to external studies. In addition, many schools have a psychologist to whom the student can turn to if necessary.
In addition, externship helps to adapt in advance to the university system of education. Homework is rarely checked here, but you need to attend lectures regularly, prepare for intermediate and final exams also. All this means that a person really should be ready for constant independent work.
However, many students, despite the conscious choice of the university, lack motivation, they still do not know how to plan the time. Even if the high school student is very purposeful, and the parents are not used to interfering in his life, they will have to take control of the situation - at least for several months.
Olga Vladimirova, the mother of the former extern: “The goal is achieved - the son is studying at Moscow State University. On the certificate there are good grades, and they were received without too much headache, although I remember that it was difficult at times. Yes, and it was difficult for us to constantly keep our hands on heart rate. "
Sometimes modern information technologies come to the aid of parents: in some external studies, each student has a personal web page available to parents via the Internet.
How to choose an external school?
It all depends on your goals. A student who goes to externship because he cannot cope with the program of a comprehensive school is hardly interested in high-quality knowledge. He would only get an official document on secondary education, and where exactly is the tenth question. High school students who are going to enter a university approach the choice of external studies especially carefully.
You can study externally at a state and non-state school. In the first case, the price is about $ 500 for six months, in the second - from $ 1,000. But more expensive does not necessarily mean better. The quality of lectures always depends on the teachers.
Therefore, you need to pay attention to what teachers teach the subjects necessary for entering a university, if possible, talk to them personally. Alexei Parfyonov, graduate of external studies at school No. 199: “We had a wonderful chemistry teacher. I attended his lecture with pleasure, I knew that it was not only interesting, but also useful, and I did not regret it. Now I'm in my fourth year Russian University of Chemical Technology named after Mendeleev.
External teachers are aware of the plans of their wards, and will not make too strict demands on the humanities in physics or biology. However, the necessary basic knowledge in a good external studies will give in all subjects. If a graduate who is going to a humanitarian university sincerely believes that “Ohm” is such a magazine, and an ebonite stick is an infectious disease, we can say for sure that he studied in a bad external studies.
Be sure to ask if final certification is provided in the form of an exam. The situation with a single exam changes annually, and if the school management refers to an insufficient amount of information, problems can arise in passing the USE in this externship.
The best selection criterion today, like ten years ago, is the recommendation of former students. If there are none among your acquaintances, you can use the modern version of word of mouth - online forums.
Who is studying in an external studies
Contrary to popular belief, it is not only round honors and inveterate losers. External studies are an ideal form of training for gifted children who often have to leave: musicians, athletes, circus performers. There are children who cannot study normally due to health reasons or because of conflicts with teachers and classmates.
Finally, children whose parents work abroad can come to school only for exams. By the way, they sometimes pass the final certification not for a year, but for a whole level of training - for example, for the entire elementary school.
Method 1 Obtaining a Diploma Online
Many people who have not graduated from high school prefer to study online, which allows them to work at a convenient pace, at a convenient time. In the world there are the same number of online schools as real ones, made of brick and cement, and accredited online schools issue the same diploma. This is a great choice for serious independent students.
- 1 Make a copy of your high school diploma. Count the number of available tests and find out how much you are missing for graduation.
- 2 Find out what type of online school you need. In recent years, online education has made a significant leap forward, making it a great choice for people who want to take a high school course. It does not matter who you are, a school-age teenager who wants to get a new experience, or an adult who has long since lost the classroom, there is an online learning program in the world that will satisfy your individual needs.
- Many countries offer completely free public high school online programs. And in some cases, they also compensate for computer equipment and Internet access.
- Private online schools often cater to specific groups of students, such as adult students or members of a religious group. Such schools usually charge tuition, but there is also a budget form of education.
- Some colleges and universities offer an online high school program. They are mainly aimed at students who want to go to college after completing a high school course.
- 3 Find an institution with accreditation. It is important to make sure that the chosen online program has accreditation that corresponds to high school. Programs advertised as quick and easy are unlikely to cover the necessary subjects and provide good training. If you are interested in a particular program, contact the institution and find out if it is part of a high school. If not, then your diploma will not be accepted by the university or employer.
- 4 Sign up for a program. Follow the steps in the program to register in it. You may need to provide a high school diploma as well as a standard set of personal information. Then you will need to register for classes and make a plan to meet the requirements of the program.
- 5 Complete the training. A diploma of completing an online high school program is no different from a traditional diploma. In the classroom, you will be taught by teachers with the same certificate as in regular schools. In order to get credit for the subject, you will be given homework in the form of writing essays, quizzes, and more.
- Many online programs use video conferencing to lecture and facilitate discussions. You will interact with both other students and the teacher.
- Some online programs also offer (or require) participation in scientific experiments, excursions, and other face-to-face events.
- Many programs have physical education requirements that can usually be completed in personal time.
- 6 Get a diploma. After you complete the necessary coursework, attend all classes and fulfill all the requirements for graduating from high school, you will receive a high school diploma. Distribution of diplomas depends on the course taken.
Method 2 Getting GED
GED (General Educational Development) is a test developed by the American Council for Education (ACE), which determines whether a person has knowledge equivalent to that of a high school graduate. GED is accepted as a substitute for a high school diploma at 95 percent of universities and with most employers.
- 1 Study the requirements of your country. In most countries, you are eligible for GED if you are 16 years old or older and you are not a high school student. However, some countries have different requirements, so first you need to figure it out. Search for “country + GED requirements” to find out more.
- 2 Know what the test consists of. GED охватывает те же пять базовых предметов, что и школьный курс: правописание, математика, социальные науки, естествознание и литература. Тест разделен следующим образом:
- Раздел правописания проверяет навыки в грамматике, лексике, орфографии и капитализации с отдельным разделом для написания эссе.
- The mathematics section tests skills in arithmetic, measurements, the basics of algebra, geometry, numerical relations, trigonometry and the analysis of data from graphs and diagrams.
- The section of social sciences tests knowledge of geography, civil law and economics.
- The natural sciences section tests knowledge in biology, physical sciences and earth science.
- The literature section tests the level of knowledge regarding sentence structure, reading comprehension, and linguistics.
- 3 Get ready for the test. Testing takes place within 7 hours and 45 minutes, while a certain amount of time is allocated for each item. To get a good mark for such a big test, you need to prepare in advance for individual subjects. Start cooking about 2 months before the test. You may need more time if it has been several years since attending school. This may seem a bit overwhelming to you, but there are many resources available to help you pull your knowledge to the deadline.
- You can purchase a book on preparing for GED or use online resources to prepare.
- Be sure to take a lot of practice tests to get used to the test format.
- Pay special attention to those subjects in which you are not sure, and also consider the option of involving a tutor to prepare for this subject.
- You can sign up for GED preparatory courses, many of which are free, or hire a GED tutor to help you get ready.
- 4 Sign up for testing in a specialized center. Choose a testing center that is convenient for you. Call the center or register on the site for testing. You can’t take the test online, you will need to take it personally in the center.
- 5 Take the test on the indicated day. Come a little early on the day of testing to find the right audience and take your place. Take all materials with you as required by the testing center. If you sign up for the test all day, make sure your schedule is free. In some cases, you will be allowed to undergo testing in two stages.
- Be sure to get enough sleep before testing. When it comes to concentration, there is nothing more important than sound sleep.
- You will most likely have a lunch break, so dine tight so you don’t get distracted by hunger during the test.
- Clearly follow the instructions of the testing curator. Violation of the rules, even accidental, can lead to the deprivation of the right to undergo testing on this day.
- 6 Get your result and GED certificate. After passing the test, you will either have to call the center after the allotted time, or receive the result by mail.
Method 3 Return to High School
In some cases, attending an adult or evening school may be the best way to get the credit required for a high school diploma. If you want to attend traditional classes in high school and better remember material in a regular class, this option may be just for you.
- 1 Make a copy of your high school diploma. To be in the right program, you need to know how many offsets you still lack. Contact your former school and request a copy of the diploma.
- 2 Look for adult learning programs in the area. Each country offers different high school course programs suitable for adults. Search the local community colleges online and find a program that suits your needs.
- 3 Register in the program. In most cases, a high school diploma for adults is free. You may need to fill out an application before the deadline to be sure to attend the classes that you want to attend.
- When registering, you will most likely be assigned a consultant who will review your diploma and help you get the necessary tests.
- 4 Complete the program requirements. Each program has requirements that are slightly different in accordance with state law. Together with a consultant, plan your training so that you receive the necessary tests. Depending on how many years you went to school, it can take from several months to a couple of years.
- 5 Get your diploma. After completing the program, attending classes and fulfilling all the requirements, you will be able to graduate from school with a full diploma.