Many of our compatriots live in Thailand, one of whom shared his experience of living in this country for my blog. Having flown abroad once a week, the duration and frequency of his further trips increased, and for almost 8 years now he has been living in Thailand. Why is this country so attractive? Dear Life in Thailand? Do Russians need a visa in Thailand? You will find answers to these questions and not only.
- Tell us a little about yourself.
- My name is Evgeniy. I live in Thailand in the city of Pattaya, and come from the Russian city of Kazan. By education, energy. He was engaged in ballroom dancing and Thai boxing. In Thailand, I organize excursions, taxis, transfers, and rentals. I love to travel. And even more to plan complex trips. It so happened that, once having flown abroad for a week, the duration and frequency of my further trips increased.
- How long have you been living in Thailand? What prompted you to leave Russia and why did you choose Thailand?
- I live in Thailand for 7-8 years. I didn’t count. I am in Russia, and there are no completely migrants in the case of Thailand. This is a visa issue, and banal in the summer in Russia, there are also a lot of advantages. In Thailand, more open people and easier to realize. Before Thailand from Southeast Asia, I was also in Indonesia. And later traveled to all other countries. Muslim countries somehow do not like me. At other points, Thailand is ahead of neighboring countries in terms of living standards, and this is important for me. For example, Singapore is not suitable for the reason that it is somehow not spiritual and too expensive.
- What do you need to move to live in Thailand?
- The answer without troubles is money.
- Do Russians need a visa in Thailand? What are the types of visa and what are the nuances of obtaining it?
- In the Kingdom of Thailand, you can stay without a visa for up to 30 days. After this period, you need to apply for a visa.
There are several types of visas: tourist, student, pension, family and business visas. The simplest are tourist and student visas.
Visas are also divided into 2 categories:
- Single entry visa: valid for up to 90 days, price - $ 40, and you can enter the country only once.
- Multivisa: validity period - up to six months, price - $ 200, you can enter and leave the country many times.
- Many Russians live in Thailand. Why do you think they choose this country?
- Sanuk Suai Sabai Manpenray. In a different way - this is the feeling when everything is going as it should, positive and smiling people around, a favorable climate, sea, nature, fruits, and motives decide everything. Perfect.
- In order to avoid the language barrier, living in Thailand, is it necessary to speak Thai?
- There is such a language "Taiglish", which consists of primitive English and the most common Thai words. It's simple, just know the basic set of 30 Thai words that you can learn in a month. This greatly simplifies life in Thailand.
- Dear life in Thailand?
- For example, the price of a small studio apartment (area from 23 sq.m.) starts from $ 20,000.
- Rent a small studio - from $ 150.
- The cost of utilities in Thailand varies as follows. For a month usually goes 1000-1500 baht (1800-2700 rubles.) For a small condo of squares 30. In homes 6000-12000 baht (10800-21700 rubles.) Accounts are not uncommon.
- Internet is much more expensive than in Russia.
- Food prices are about the same as in Russia, but there are more quality products and services in Thailand. This is much more important.
- What is the situation on the labor market in Thailand?
- Almost all Russians live in resorts: Pattaya, Phuket. Earn, respectively, in the tourism sector. I'm not an exception. Engaged in: organizing excursions, taxis, transfers, rent. If you touch on the financial issue, then in resort towns there are no average salaries. For example, a saleswoman receives approximately 12,000 baht (21,858 rubles). And for farang (as the Thais call people who came from another country), the minimum wage is considered to be 40,000 baht (72,860 rubles).
- What do locals love Thailand for? Why do you love this country?
- The locals are Thais. They are patriots, and love their country, and the king. This is not a theorem, but an axiom. In my life I have met many people in Thailand with whom I am on the same wavelength. I like that motives are everything. And the law of karma is very fast. Sometimes, literally on the same day.
- Do Thais choose Russia as a tourist destination?
- Yes, there are a couple of Thais friends who were in Russia. One I have in VK as a friend, his name is Tam. But most think Russia is of little interest.
- You travelling? What does the journey give you?
- Yes. Traveling sometimes gives the feeling that yes, that’s why it was worth driving so much. I like to study the culture of other countries, and try on myself.
- Your advice and wishes for those wishing to move to another country.
- No need to think about moving. Plan your trip for 3 months and find the answers yourself.
Jobs in Thailand
It's no secret that Russians in Thailand often work as guides, promoters or realtors. However, all these professions are prohibited by local law for foreigners. In addition, in Pattaya you can find a job as a teacher in a Russian school or as a teacher in a Russian kindergarten.
Work in Thailand as a teacher and educator is allowed for foreigners, but, unfortunately, Russian educational institutions cannot afford to support many official workers. The fact is that there are complex rules for the formation of the state: at least four Thais must be a foreigner in a company.
Despite the threat of heavy fines and even imprisonment, illegal part-time work in Thailand is still very popular. However, such work does not give official permission for long-term residence in Thailand.
And due to the recent tightening of visa controls, it is not possible to constantly renew stamps for 30 days and get visa wounds in Thailand. Therefore, for those wishing to work in Thailand, it is better to immediately consider options with official employment.
To work in large international companies here you need to be a good specialist with extensive experience. In addition, you need knowledge of English at the level of active speakers (native speakers). It is much easier to get a teacher at a Thai school here: it is enough to speak English at an intermediate level.
To search for such a job, you may need several documents that must be notarized in English:
- Graduation diploma,
- Some schools require TOEFL or IELTS certificates that prove English proficiency,
- Certificate of no criminal record,
- Help or letter of recommendation from the previous place of work. It is advisable to have experience working with children.
When looking for work in a Thai school, you need to consider that employers almost never respond to emails. Therefore, you should not expect great results from sending resumes by mail. It is best to raid the schools of the city yourself, although it will take a lot of time and effort.
Typically, Thai schools first arrange a foreign teacher for a probationary period. Salary is paid, however, official employment can only be calculated after 1-3 months. Working on a trial period does not give any advantages when crossing the border: you will still be considered an ordinary tourist. Therefore, it is better to immediately apply for a tourist visa for 6 months. You can do it at the Thai embassies in Moscow and Vientiane (the capital of Laos).
Location and appearance of the embassy in Moscow
When looking for work, you can often come across agencies that offer their employment services. You need to be careful with them, because they do not always fulfill their obligations and sometimes offer to sign papers before visiting the place of work.
To work with the agency, you need to carefully study the reviews on the Internet, ask more questions and do not sign any documents before meeting with the employer.
A work visa or work permit is usually given for one year, after which it can be extended. It is impossible to get a work visa on the territory of Thailand itself, for this you need to contact the Thai embassy in any neighboring state: Cambodia, Laos or Malaysia.
The cost of a work visa is usually around 20,000 baht. However, usually you don’t need to pay anything yourself, the employer takes all the costs of consular fees.
In Thailand, you can meet many mixed families. Tourists from different countries, having come to rest, work or study, find their soul mate here. In this case, obtaining citizenship in Thailand is easier for a girl who marries a Thai.
According to local laws, when a foreign man marries secretly, more stringent requirements are imposed on him:
- It is necessary to confirm your financial security. To do this, you must either have an official income in the Thai company in the amount of 40 thousand baht, or put 400,000 baht on the account in a Thai bank,
- You can become a Thai citizen only after 12 years of family life.
In every major Thai city you can find advertisements for companies that offer fictitious marriages. However, you should not think that you can so easily obtain citizenship or a residence permit here. Such adventures threaten problems with the police: heavy fines and deportation from Thailand.
Business in Thailand
Here is what is said on the Thai Immigration Service website about ways to invest in Thailand and get the opportunity to live long in this country:
“If you invest 10 million baht or more in the assets of the kingdom, you can get a residence permit in Thailand for a period of 1 year. You can place this money in a Thai bank account that will be approved by the state or buy government securities. These investments should not be withdrawn from the country within 3 years ”
In Thailand, excellent conditions have been created for private enterprise, many foreign investors are actively investing huge capital in the country's economy. However, it is impossible to be a full owner of your business here. According to the law, 51% of the company should belong to the Thai.
To create such a joint business, you need to find someone you can trust. Therefore, many foreigners start their business in Thailand with small projects to make sure their Thai partner is reliable.
Opening a business allows you to leave for permanent residence in Thailand. A business visa is usually issued for one year, after which it can be constantly renewed. However, a foreign company must meet several mandatory requirements:
- Have a registered capital of 2 million baht,
- Be profitable. If the company becomes unprofitable, it will be impossible to extend a business visa.
A residence permit in Thailand can be obtained with a family visa. It is given if:
- your spouse works in Thailand or does business here
- your children attend an international school in Thailand.
A family visa costs 9,000 baht. In addition, for the education of children in an international school you will have to pay:
- about 100 thousand baht per year for primary school, primary grades,
- about 300 thousand baht for the secondaries of the cheekbones - high school.
Children go home from school
However, these schools are worth it. They are very different from Russian (and ordinary Thai) thanks to a comfortable cozy atmosphere and level of education. Teaching is conducted in English, and teachers are experienced teachers - native speakers. At the end of such a school, children are given a diploma in the American style, which allows them to enter any prestigious universities in Europe and the USA.
If a large international school seems too expensive, you can find a private school with an English program. Education in such a school costs about 30 thousand baht per academic year, at the end a Thai diploma is issued.
Education in Thailand
Studying in Thailand is one of the easiest ways to move here for a long time. However, it is not necessary to study at a university or graduate school.
Very famous in Thailand, Burafa University
In every major Thai city, there are a huge number of courses that foreigners can attend. Most often there are schools for teaching English or Thai, however, there are more exotic areas:
- Thai boxing,
- Thai massage,
- Thai culinary art.
For admission to such courses, you need to submit a passport, photos and a copy of the rental contract to the school. Tuition usually starts from 20-25 thousand baht in one year. But if you want to find English courses with native speakers, then it is better to focus on 30-30 thousand.
In addition, additional costs should be considered:
- Every 3 months, a student visa must be renewed at the immigration office (an analogue of our FMS). The cost of the extension is 1900 baht, totaling 7,600 per year.
- Travel expenses to Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia. Any Thai visa can be obtained only in the territory of another state. And a student visa is no exception. Typically, schools organize special visa trips to Laos for their budding students.
The sum of such a tour is about 6,000 baht. This includes road, hotel accommodation and meals.
To obtain a student visa, you must first come to Thailand on a stamp for 30 days or on a tourist visa. During this time, you can independently go around several schools and choose the most suitable option.
It should be borne in mind that formally becoming a student and then “forgetting” about the lecture will not work. Now in Thailand they carefully follow visa rules, including checking the attendance of foreign students. In addition, courses are not a university; the time to attend them will take only a few hours a week.
According to the new visa rules, in Thailand you can not permanently live on tourist visas. However, this does not apply to student visas.
If you have the money and time to study in Thailand, you can endlessly if you change your school once a year and enroll in new courses.
However, the prospect of being an eternal student is not very attractive. Therefore, many are trying to make practical use of their training. For example, you can improve your English level in a good language school and find the teacher’s job in one of Thai educational institutions yourself.
Where do Russians live in Thailand
There are a lot of Russians in Thailand, but they do not live in “neighborhoods” as is customary in the west. Russians are scattered randomly around the country. For wintering or permanent residence choose the popular resorts of Pattaya, Samui, Hua Hin, Phuket, Phi Phi.
Housing is rented or bought apartments in high-rise buildings. In Pattaya, there are even agencies with Russian-speaking employees. But it’s worth being careful: for Russians they can specifically raise prices, because traditionally Thais believe that our compatriots have a lot of money.
To Thailand Retire
Emigration to Thailand after retirement is a common occurrence among Europeans and Americans. But among our compatriots, moving to Thailand to retirement is gradually starting to gain popularity. Fortunately, Thai law provides for a special retirement visa, which can be obtained for one year and renew indefinitely.
At the same time, it is absolutely not necessary to truly be a pensioner - an age of 50 years or more is already a sufficient basis for obtaining a pension visa. In addition, you must have a minimum amount of 800,000 baht on your account.
Permanent residence in Thailand attracts pensioners due to comfortable conditions and a measured rhythm of life. It has a healing marine climate, affordable prices, and many spas with wellness treatments.
There are several ways to get a retirement visa:
- Contact the Thai Embassy in Moscow,
- Come to Thailand with a 30-day stamp and apply for a retirement visa at the immigration office.
Very informative video about Thailand.
The attitude of Thais to Russians
The state protects its inhabitants, therefore the Thai is always right, except for serious crimes. That is why the local population is not afraid of anything and rips off tourists like sticky. At the same time, everyone is very welcoming, smiling and friendly. You must bargain in the markets, otherwise there is a chance to buy a product several times more expensive than its real value. In general, the attitude towards the Russians is very good and friendly.
Relocation to Thailand for permanent residence is always available to foreign investors. However, immigration is available only in the case of very large investments - from 40 million Thai baht. When investing such capital in Thailand, you can easily get any long-term visa, as well as get a few bonuses:
- Become a full owner of your business - 51% no longer need to be shared with a Thai citizen,
- Buy land,
- Do not pay taxes for several years.
For children of foreigners there are kindergartens in which the teachers are native English speakers.
With kids, they are engaged in modeling, drawing and various developmental activities. Gardens are equipped with everything necessary, interiors, furniture, toys are modern. Работают сады до 16 часов. Средняя стоимость детского сада 6 тысяч бат за месяц.
Обучение детей начинается с детского сада
Большинство родителей отдают детей в международные школы, обучение проводится по британской системе, сильно отличающейся от нашей. Преподаватели чаще всего приглашены с запада. The training is conducted in English, an American diploma. Education costs from 100 to 300 thousand baht per year depending on the classes (primary, secondary, senior).
Thai private schools
Training is conducted in English. The average cost is about 35 thousand baht. Thai diploma, with it you can go to universities in Thailand.
Russian schools in Thailand are no longer rare. They are on Koh Samui and Phuket. There are quite a lot of Russians who want their children to study in Russian and receive a Russian diploma. There are enough children in classes, it won’t be boring. The cost of training varies from 12 to 15 thousand baht.
Russian schools in Thailand are no longer rare
Where will we work?
We begin the story of his review with the "ease" of obtaining a visa for life in Thailand. If a tourist for 3 and 6 months is not difficult to get without the right to work for hire, then a worker is almost impossible. Thanks to the list of prohibited specialties, almost all hired labor for foreigners (farang) is closed, and in order to get official work permit, you need to earn approval from the local company in the form of a certificate for the migration service.
Who can you work without official permission? The answer is simple - no one. Russians in Thailand for permanent residence they can work fearlessly only as freelancers, because it is very difficult to prove the implementation of such activities. You ask: “What about the work of a guide or a photographer?” After all, these are almost the main encouraging points that a Russian who wants to go to Thailand for permanent residence is counting on.
Some subtleties of employment when moving to permanent residence are listed in the article "How to find a job in Thailand."
Yes, you can get a guide. However, not only does this work require a high level of moral preparedness, it is also illegal, and is constantly monitored by the Thai police in the form of raids on tourist sites. And corruption in Thailand's law enforcement agencies is a permanent phenomenon, the minimum bribe from the farang is $ 1,000. But if you don’t agree, you’ll have to experience all the charm of life in a Thai prison.
With photographers, too, things are not so sweet due to the illegality of this specialty and high competitiveness. If you decide to work not through the company, but on your own, then it will be very difficult to get promoted among a large number of professionals.
At freelancers who decided move live in Thailandwill be their own difficulties, which we will describe in the next article. One way or another, this is the most suitable (and therefore popular) specialty for the prosperous life of most Russians in this country.
Permanent residence in Thailand is greatly simplified for those who have behind their back one or more properties that can be rented out. In this case, in the best scenario, you can not work at all and be with the money. But that's another story.
We’ll continue our subscriber’s recall with one stereotype that Russian is the most difficult language in the world. There is nothing more complicated than the languages of the peoples living on the Indochina Peninsula. They are phonetic. A slight change in the tone of the spoken word can turn a courteous greeting into a dirty curse. Read an article revealing the secrets of the key of the Thai language.
Yes, in Thailand, a well-developed network of language courses where you can learn English. Only here there are few people who want to (or rather able to) visit them among Thais. Local traders and guides are content with a limited supply of foreign words, making it possible to communicate with the farang. The rest of the Thais will not understand you, even if you really want to. After all, even their sign language is different.
But, even more or less learning the language of the locals, you will never become part of their society, as can happen in Germany or France. On your way there will be differences in mentality.
Local Themis and Thai Mentality
Before go live in Thailand, get ready to accept the simple truth without offense and complexes: farang there is always wrong! Even despite the fact that the budget of this country by 6% consists of money that tourists bring with them. And the fact that the official policy is aimed at cultivating friendliness and hospitality. For Thais, the tourism industry is a parallel universe with which they want nothing to do but money.
Even after moving to permanent residence and living in Thailand for several decades, you will not cease to be a farang, a source of enrichment. Only after seeing a European, a trader doubles the price, so it is important to be able to bargain in Thai markets. This is similar to how the Muscovites are treated in the province, only much more impudent and undisguised. For the local corrupt tourist police, you are also a source of income. They will explain the amount of the bribe to you, but it is very difficult for them to prove their innocence and rightness, even if there is irrefutable evidence (more on that in the next article).
Also forget about the law that protects the rights of consumers, for farangs it does not work. Bought a low-quality thing? These are your problems; exchanging for another or getting money back will fail. Well, local police officers will definitely come to get acquainted with the most persistent.
About moving with children
And come to Thailand for permanent residence with children, and acquiring them already in place, argue that the children in this country are extremely comfortable. Of course, what could be better for a growing organism than an abundance of heat, natural fruits and a gentle sea? But, in addition to comfort, the child needs to communicate with peers. And this opportunity will be very limited for him. You just cannot go outside and play (if you do not live in a Russian village near Pattaya), you must go to a kindergarten, get a job in Russian schools, and also arrange family meetings with compatriots.
Another argument "Behind" It is believed that the child will learn many languages. Perhaps the child will learn the Thai language, but the rest of Europe will be mastered much worse than in a regular Russian school. Indeed, many teachers received knowledge in the same linguistic courses, which is why mistakes and distortions multiply many times.
The level of general education in Thai schools, the language does not dare to say quality, so additional classes with tutors are inevitable.
Now you know that how do Russians live in Thailand and you can appreciate how crazy the idea of moving here from Russia is. Just do not confuse moving with wintering, spending 2-3 months in the Land of Smiles during the winter, you will not have time to feel for yourself all that the feedback of our subscriber was retold, the continuation of which you will find in the article "The difficulties of working as a freelancer in Thailand" .
Found a mistake or inaccuracy in the article? Select it with the mouse and press: